Sunday, January 22, 2012

It takes all kinds...

It takes all kinds of people to make this big, old goofy world go around.  It takes the doctor, lawyer, store clerk, teacher, janitor, and musician.  When I tell people that I play music for a living, they go, "wow, that would be cool, I think I might just quit my job and do the same."  I learned early on that the phrase "play music" gets confused.  "Play", that word sounds just like fun and like musicians are just hanging out.  Truth is, it's one of the hardest, most cutthroat businesses out there.  I've been at this for a while, but have only been a musician full-time within the last 2 years.  Before that, I managed a great deal.  I lost 30 pounds and ran 6 miles a day, wore high heels and makeup, written songs, produced CD's, played gigs all while managing a full-time residential cleaning business even.
The music business is like no other.  At the store, the clerk either gives you the right change or not.  In the music business, not only does the correct change have to be given, but did you give it the "right" way"?  Did you smile while giving the change correctly?  Did you hand it to the customer with the right hand?  Everybody wants to be a star store clerk, what makes you so different?  Maybe that is a little too exaggerated, but the next time you see a musician playing out, drop some change in their tip jar.  You never know what they had to go through to "play" music for you.   

3 comments:

  1. One of the reasons I have held respect for you since stumbling into your music online was because of your genuine way to express day to day reality in your lyrics. The next reason, the soul in your voice shows dedication to your craft. In following you, from a person who hasn't met you and only can see through the virtual world...I feel you have had a special way to show the truth to what hard work the music business is; as well as its effects on the artists. Bless you for what you do. I couldn't do it and I am glad that you don't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick, you just brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just stated part of what emotions you have brought to my life. One of these days I need to get to KY and hug you!!! Keep it going.

      Delete